Monday, November 13, 2017

November 13th weekly update! Full swing Usagi Star!

Hello everyone!

So recently I think my biggest problems with my game projects has been that I usually start out by making a character, then making some vague game play and H ideas around them, and get started with making sprites/ art for the game. I make enemies, environments, and think up main set pieces I want in the game, but I never really establish the exact numbers of enemies I want or specifically what mechanics I want in the game and what it should revolve around. Due to this, I think when I get to the middle of the project, it tends to stall out and since I don't really have any direction with the project, I end up dropping it, which has already happened to some of the games I've announced.

To combat this I've started mapping out exactly what levels I want, what those levels should contain, the game's narrative, set pieces, number of animations I'll need, needed scripts, characters, enemies, you name it, BEFORE I start development. I think doing all this helps on those days where I feel like the project has stalled out since I can look at the schedule and see what needs to be done. It also allows me to not have to rely on pure passion for the project and instead can look at it as individual tasks I need to complete that leads to something bigger.

So I managed to set aside some time for work last week and worked on some of the sprites for Usagi Star. Kyrieru was kind enough to give me some feedback on the HUD sprite I made and it was a big help and helped me isolate some of the problems I was having while also giving me some new tricks to implement.
Original HUD
Updated HUD

Kyrieru's edit and tips for metal and lines
Kyrieru really helped me understand lighting and metal reflection. He also gave me a good tip about lining sprites in that you should try to minimize black lines inside the sprite and instead just use them for the outline and very dark places. The eyes and overall face shape we also changed as the colors allowed for a smoother "blend" and made them pop more. I also edited the helmet shape and the star to look more appealing.

I'll probably still tinker with it a bit, maybe changing the eyes a bit more or some of the reflected light, but once it's finished I'll do some other expressions and add in animations to it.

I'm also going to have little dialogue parts during game play that happen between Usagi and other characters. It'll be like the dialogue from Star Fox. The girl on the right is the contact for Caturn that called for Usagi's help and will be  navigator throughout the game.

I think this will spice up the game a bit and add a bit more to each character and boss.

Other than that I have a good idea what I want the first level to be so I will be making background assets for that for the next demo. So instead f the next demo just being a touch up based on the feedback I got last time, I'll be trying to incorporate more things that I want to be in the game. So instead of just a space level, the background will be a bit more interesting.

I'm still in the middle of a move, but I'm hoping to have the first level fleshed out by the end of the year. I still have some other projects I need to finish too so it's gonna be busy haha

Until next time!

   

5 comments:

  1. Greetings. I just finished playing your demo and it was quite fun. Here is my mini review; I know you worked hard on the HUD image, but because it's so big I tended to stay near the top of the screen to avoid going behind it. Maybe you could make it semi transparent? Or maybe rearrange it to make it smaller? Since there wasn't any benefit from saving the captive girls, I just stopped trying to save them. I'm not sure how to do the orgasm shots, but I don't think the bar should reset until you actually do it. And finally, I got to the end while only taking two hits. I enjoyed the music. Very mega man-ish. Anyways, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thanks for taking the time to check out the demo! I'll address all your points individually:
    - For the HUD image, I get what you're saying. In the next demo release, the HUD will become transparent when you are behind it so i should make things easier.
    - For now, the captive girls don't do anything, but in later builds they will give you power ups when you free them so stay tuned!
    - Also when Usagi orgasms (the bar is full) , it increases her speed, indicated by the HUD. It doesn't change the shot, picking up the power up does that. So the longer the player has the power up, the more speed they can get to avoid enemies. In the full game, getting hit will make you lose your power up ( though I'll probably test this out to make sure it isn't too unfair).
    - And yeah the enemies in the game are brainless at the moment, but I'll be including more enemies in the game to make things more difficult. The demo was more to just test some of the games features and provide a good base ( and also get me to commit to making something haha)
    Thanks for the feedback and let me know if anything I said is unclear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure no problem. I see, so it increases your speed. That's interesting. In that case, I take back what I said. lol Saving captives really does have value. Well, you addressed everything. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Thanks for saying I'm an awesome dev. lol

    ReplyDelete