Tuesday, January 16, 2018

January 16th weekly update! Getter Graffiti full steam ahead!

Hey everyone!

So this week I wanted to primarily focus on drawing, but making pixel graffiti art took up the most of my time instead.

I did manage to get the Getter Graffiti bug fix version out earlier in the week which prevents Mui from getting knocked back or slowing down on the rails, so the game should feel much more consistent. There's still an issue with the zoom in during the flying enemy scene since the camera doesn't center itself. This causes the "break out" image to appear in front of the animation, so I'm trying to find a way to make it move the camera to avoid that problem. Hopefully I'll figure it out by the time the next demo rolls around. I'm also going to adjust the spray object hitboxes and make an icon indicating when you can spray an object which should help the game flow better.

Speaking of Getter Graffiti though, I have been making progress on a lot of the new graffiti for the game. I have 7 total small and medium sprites ready and I'm working on a few more at the moment. I wanted these to incorporate some references to games and shows that I liked or were inspired by you might see some familiar faces haha These will be included with the slime enemy update once I get the sprites for that done. I'll post a couple of them below as a teaser. I might work on them a bit more, but probably no major changes. The "Oni" one will actually be replacing the one in the game currently since I feel that one is a bit lackluster.

Looking at the, now, a lot of them are ass focused, so I'll try to incorporate more boobs and other areas of interest in the future to balance things out lol



The slime animations and it's scene are going well. There's still a bit of work left to it including the climax, but I should have it ready by next week. I want to add 2 more enemies to the game, so I need to think of some ideas soon since I want the game out by the end of January. One will probably be an enemy that dashes at you, so you need to be on your toes more when you're on the ground. The other might be a tall enemy or something that you need to time a jump to get over. Originally I wanted a slide in the game, but I think I'd rather try to keep things simple and work with what I have. I could even do something like a tentacle trap that hangs from the rails. I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide on.

Once that's done, I'll start incorporating the Chaser enemy. This will be the one trying to catch Mui throughout the game and will trigger a game over if they catch up to her. I decided to make it Mui's rival "Phyvo". A prodigy police officer who uses tentacles to traverse the city. So basically the concept is you want to prevent yourself from running into the police because they'll slow you down and allow to be caught by Phyvo. Her sprite will be big since it'll involve her tentacles and take up most of the screen vertically, but it's animation shouldn't be too complex so hopefully it won't take too long to finish. Here's her concept sprite with a comparison to Mui:

 Other than that I still need to get the sound effects in the game, so I'll be working on that too. I also have a lot of the art work left to do and I wanted to make a little 2 page comic to introduce Mui and Phyvo and the start of the chase so there's a lot left on the plate as far as work for the game goes, but I feel confident about getting it finished. Worse case scenario I will push the release date into February if I need more time. I'll keep you guys posted.

Also as far as plans for my other games go, I'll chart that out once I get done with Getter Graffiti since there's still a lot of work left for it. I think right now it's better to try and focus rather than juggle everything like I do normally xD

Anyway that's all from me. Hope you guys have a good week!





2 comments:

  1. As an ass man, I approve of the new graffiti! Looks awesome man. Can't wait to spray those and others in the game. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete