Monday, July 31, 2017

July 31st weekly update!

Hey everyone!

So this week I focused mainly on programming stuff and some pixel art when I had time. Specifically I wanted to start working on prototypes for some of the games I'm thinking of.

I have a very basic demo running for Usagi Star that not worth presenting yet, but has some features that are necessary for the game. I have a scrolling background that I can build the level on and have the player fly through, and I can change the speed of things as well as get rid of objects and enemy's when they leave the screen. The next things I want to get done is making a class that will hold the generic information for game entities so I can have the player and all the enemies be child classes of it, and get a basic enemy template finished.

I also did a small demo that allows me to have parallax scrolling for platforming games. I based it on a video tutorial I saw gave functionality for basic parallaxing for numerous layers based on the camera, but I also want to see if I can add layers that move slightly automatically for things like clouds and whatnot.

As far as pixel art goes, I've been looking at other people's art and seeing what I like about them and how I can improve my own stuff. I've only really been spriting for a short while, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can while I still have some free time.  I was trying to find answers the the questions: What shapes are appealing for pixel art, when should I use lines to frame the image, and how should I be using color for these sprites? I'll probably make a blog post about my finding later, since I'm still trying to figure a few things out. But I was mostly looking at Kyrieru's work, as well as Heiyuu's sprites since I think they both utilize chibi-esque character design really well.

But for the meantime, I have some sprites I did for practice as I tested what different sprites I could make with the same size using different styles in about 10 minutes. I also worked on some of the slimer sprites as well:

 (RBWY sprites in different styles)

(Some 10 minute pixel sketches) 





 (More Style practice featuring Jolyne Cujoh)

(A pixel cloud for background practice)

(Slimer +Squire anim 2 WIP and Squire Idle anim)



I feel like some of my sprites are way too messy and I think the lack of lines is causing it. The slimer animation especially is kinda of hard to tell what's happening, doubly so when there's no background to frame it. I'll be experimenting with this for the next couple of days and see what changes I might be able to make to improve it. 

I also ordered a cheap smart watch for development purposes. I might make some super simple games to be played on them which I think will be cool haha

That's all for this week. Didn't get much artwork done, but this week it'll be my focus (I switch off from art and programming weeks).Let me know what you guys think about the sprites I made and feel free to leave any tips or suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment